Fencing in Marlboro

I am fencing in the Marlboro, NJ area. There are no HS teams here, only independent fencers who try very hard to make it in local and national competitions. Fencing is a martial art.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Fencing-the martial art

I was always interested in the martial arts; ever since I was four years old and I saw the Mutant Ninja Turtles movie I was hooked. Martial arts always was an important part of who I am. I began martial arts at four years old and I became a black belt at 10 years old in the American Tae Kwon Do style with Master Kang; then I joined the USTU and received my second black belt in Korean Tae Kwon Do with Master An. I continued my studies in Martial Arts and achieved the second degree black belt again with Master An. While I was studying for my third degree in Tae Kwon Do with Master An, my family decided to move from NY to NJ. We looked to find another Martial Arts school that was USTU sanctioned since I participated in many local and national tournaments (I represented NY in the National USTU/TKD)and I began to train again. But this time it was different.
The art of Tae Kwon Do became commercialized and I lost my interest.
When I began my Freshman year in HS I was introduced to the art of Fencing. Suddenly the thrill of a sport sparked my interest. I was learning a new martial art that took skill, stamina, fortitude and lots of patience. I began learning the foil, a light instrument to learn the art of fencing, but touches are limited to the torso. After the foil, I discovered the Epee, a heavier instrument that allows more touches on the entire body, including the mask and foot.
I began going again to tournaments; first local ones in NJ, then I ventured to National tournaments. This year I became rated in both Foil and Epee and I hope to compete one day at the collegiate level. In October, I fenced 100 other men in Epee in Miami and now in November, I am fencing 200 men in Albuqueque. I am happy that I discovered another martial art that allows me to visualize my opponents moves before he does them. That is why Fencing is called physical chess. This year I will represent the Freehold region again at the NJSIAA as their fencer. Now I am studying fencing with Master Michel Sebastiani of CEP, one of the world's most well known fencing coaches; I know that his teaching will bring me to my potential. I only hope that when my younger brother enters HS, Fencing will be a team sport in Marlboro,NJ.
Currently, Fencing is not a team sport in High School's South of Newark. Most of the HS from Newark up to North NJ have fencing teams. One feels the passion that many of these fencers have for their school and for themselves. Good night and wish me good luck at my tournament.
Today is Monday, Nov 14, 2005 and I am exhausted from the Fencing weekend at the NAC. It felt like a marathon. More than 240 fencers came in for the Junior fencing event-including over 54 "A" fencers 60 "B" fencers from Canada. They were all determined to make it an all Canadian sweep of the event, and they almost succeeded. By the end of the tournament, I was exhausted. Overall, it was a great learning experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home