Fencing in Marlboro

I am fencing in the Marlboro, NJ area. There are no HS teams here, only independent fencers who try very hard to make it in local and national competitions. Fencing is a martial art.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Fencing in the New Year 2006

I tried again to Fence some of the best fencers in the NY/NJ/Connecticut region.
The NYAC Hangover Open took place at the NY Athletic Club on a Sunday Morning. The sign in was for 9:30 AM, but there was a notice that "if you cannot stay till 4 PM, please withdraw from the competition". I was surprised that so many fencers, young, old, many A's, plus other rated fencers, presented for this open- mixed tournament. We fenced in a round robin 3 point match. Then we switched to a one point match when it was 1 PM. We all fenced till 4 PM, as the director of the event predicted. Forty six fencers were all tired and hungry by the end of the matches. I came out in 25 th place and won a non-alcoholic juice in a "cat in a hat" stripped hat. It was fun fencing after the Holiday break. However, I did not really have a break. A week before this, I was fencing daily at the Mr. Ma Winter Intensive Camp. It was a great experience for me and for the other fencers. Even former Olympians and College coaches showed up and fenced with us. I could not believe that my New Year began with these events. Off to new ones and hopefully, I will get better each time I fence. Maybe I'll get into the top eight one day soon. See you in the Reno-NAC!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home